In Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11) pupils follow a curriculum which includes some compulsory subjects but also gives them a choice of subjects they would like to study for GCSE or BTEC qualifications.
Pupils in year 9 choose these option subjects around the end of the Spring Term following a programme of advice and guidance from several different sources including careers advice, representation from outside employers and guidance from staff in subject areas.
Various materials were made available to assist pupils in their option choices – these include the Option presentation, the excellent Options Booklet and other Careers advice.
To demonstrate the process, the programme for year 9 pupils in 2015 was:-
- 28th January – Options assembly for year 9 students Students will be introduced to the Options process.
- 2nd to 6th February – Subject teachers to introduce courses during lessons. Teachers will tell you more about the courses and answer your questions.
- 12th February – Year 9 academic reports and parents consultation evening. Parents and students to discuss academic progress, to find out more about KS4 courses and to discuss in detail the suitability of the student courses. Careers advice will be available. Collegues will be present to discuss pathways post 16.
- 2nd to 6th March – Student interview with senior staff. Senior staff will guide final choice of courses. Parents can be present.
- 9th March – Deadline for submitting Options Preference form. Form must be signed by student and parent.
- 27th March – Letters to parents and students confirming courses.School will write home to confirm courses.
Information for current year 9 pupils will be made available here at the appropriate time.
Advice can be sought from staff at any time. Students have access to guidance software called Kudos and Eclips. All students have access to independent advice through the National Careers Service.
The school has put together an excellent and comprehensive booklet which guides pupils through their choices and shows what each department has on offer.